What is Continuous Writing?
Continuous writing is a type of writing that differs from directed writing. It requires the you to write an essay based on their experiences, thoughts, or reflections. The continuous writing section, like directed writing, in Paper Two of the SPM English paper is also compulsory and carries 50 marks. Unlike directed writing, however, you have a choice where five topics are given and you only need to select one. These topics can be classified in following ways:
5. one-word essays (For example: “Water”)
Examples of continuous essay writing:
a) Write a story ending with "After that, I decided to take my breakfast every morning."
b) Describe the most wonderful moment of your childhood.
c) Modern technology is a threat to our lives. Discuss.
Tips in writing continuous essay writing:
1. Choose the topic that you prefer most.
2. Brainstorm your ideas (allocate 10-15 minutes).
3. Organize and outline your essay.
4. Start writing the essay - introduction, body, and conclusion.
5. Proof read and edit your essay!